Sa May Bahay...

Call me Mr. Scrooge if you want. I just have to write this. Have you tried listening to kids going around caroling? I mean literally. Here they are knocking at every door like doing trick or treating, "Namamasko po!".

What's annoying is they ALWAYS sing the same songs over and over again. I mean my next door neighbor's door is just about 3ft away and the apartment I live in is in a building with a common hallway; so you could just imagine hearing gossipers doing their thing. By the time these carolers reach my door, I already mastered the song and lyrics by heart!

The tune is pretty monotonous; much like they reading rhythmically. Here is the exact lyrics they are using. Note the first three lines have a uniform beat. But pay attention to the last line... you can compare it to a roller coaster ride.

"Sa may bahay ang aming bati (with rattles going *shik* *shik* *shik*)
Merry Kreesmas NAWAWALHATI (huh?)
Ang Pag-ibig ANG SYANG NAGHARI
Araw-araw ay magiging lagi.
Ansanhi po ng PAMPARITO (huh?!)
hihingi po ng aginaldo
Kunsakali kami'y perwisho

here is the part wherein they have to sing it double time

PASHENSYA NA KAYO KAMI NAMAMASKO!"

And it doesn't stop there... in fact, may karugtong! As in akala mong part sya talaga ng song:

"WEE WEESH YU AMERI KREEEEEEEEEESMAS (*shik* *shik* *shik*)
WEE WEESH YU AMERI KREEEEEEEEEEESMAS
ENAHAPI NYU YEER"

Asan yung 3rd na WE WEESH YU AMERI KREEEEEEEEEEEESMAS? Di ba tatlo yun? hahaha!

Then when you give them a coin - one peso will do, but try to observe them. Parang ayaw tanggapin na tipong wala naman silang magagawa. Anyways, you gave them the coin already. As soon as it touches his/her hand (whoever their point person is), the song changes immediately to the Thank You song:

...to the tune of the last line of My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean...

TENK YU... (*shik* *shik* *shik*)
TENK YU...
*TENK YU BERI MATCH, TENK YU!

Oh well we have to consider the time and also the distance these little ones must have covered. Hey but wait! We live in the same building - damn it! And they're doing it every evening. Hahaha! So next time, before shoving the one peso coin into their hands (I don't do that - that's extremely rude!) or closing the door, try listening to what they are singing - kakatuwa lang pakinggan.

Seems like I haven't done that when I was a kid. Honestly, I haven't experienced doing caroling like the little ones do. Let's just say that my family is strict. They treated me like a monk. Bawal lumabas! Mongha?!

So am I a perfect candidate for Mr. Scrooge 2008?

Comments

Popular Posts